Monday, July 14, 2014

dominica

I still have to post the second half of pictures from last weekend but I had a bit of a detour, to Dominica. Dominica is a small island in the Eastern Caribbean. It's totally different from Barbados because it's a volcanic island. It's very mountainous with amazing rainforests and world renowned hot springs. I went for a work trip for 2 days and 1 night. We didn't have much time between meetings and site visits but we did get to see some of the island. I was just going through the pictures I took for work but I thought I would share a few snaps I took during the trip.
After a site visit in Soufriere (below on the left) we went for a mini hike. The orange stream isn't dirty water, it's sulfur. The island has very popular hot sulfur spring baths that are amazing for your skin. We spent Thursday night at Screws, the local sulfur springs. There are multiple pools all varying in temperature. It was amazing, even though it was a bit smelly.
Where we hiked to had an abundance of fruit and nut trees. The yellow/orange fruit below is actually a cashew fruit! You can see the little cashew shaped piece on the bottom, which when roasted cracks open to reveal the nut. The nut grows first and then the fruit, which you can eat, grows. It was pretty tasty! The other fruit can be called a paradise plum, cocoplum, or as the Trinis call it, "fat pork." Weird I know.
 Dominica is a gorgeous island. I can't wait to return with hiking boots so I can explore what the island has to offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment