Friday, July 4, 2014

oh, canada

It's kind of funny that I'm posting this on July 4th, and not the 1st, but Canada Day got me thinking about all the things I miss about home. Now, don't get me wrong, I love Barbados, I really do. But there are some things that I just miss about Canada. So I decided to make a list.

Caesars. They just aren't the same here. You can get them. But they are never as good as any where at home. I think my biggest problem with them is that they don't use yummy garnishes. No pickles, no spicy beans, not even an olive (I don't even like olives). What's the fun in having a Caesar with no snacks?

Sidewalks. Who knew you could miss sidewalks? I don't even need sidewalks, just a big enough shoulder to walk on. Barbados does not make walking enjoyable. Half the time you have to walk on the road and dodge out of the way when a car comes, and the other half of the time the "sidewalk" that is available is so neglected that you could fall into a crack and never see the light of day again, or at least break an ankle.

Driving. I miss it. Walking is a pain (see above) and public transit is just annoying. Part of me still wants to give driving on the left a spin, the other part of me doesn't want to die. So I guess I'll have to wait a couple weeks before I can become self-reliant again.

Starbucks. I never knew I was one of those girls that would miss starbucks #whitegirlproblems. But after choking down instant coffee every day in the office I would give anything for a grande skinny vanilla latte extra hot (or iced since it's summer now).

Summer nights. I love how late the sun sets at home. I love the long days and the cooler summer nights just before the sun sinks down all the way. I can barely make it home after work and eat dinner before the sun sets here.

Patios. There are patios here, but again it's not the same. Most of the patios are on the ocean (tragic, I know) but they are attached to fancy restaurants and hotels (the only places that can afford waterfront) so it's not casual. I just want to go sit on a patio, drink beer, eat nachos, and watch the sun set. The perfect ending to a long summer day. And one of the things on the top of my to-do list when I reach Canadian soil.

Milk. Is this weird? The milk here is UHT (ultra high temperature processed) which means it doesn't have to be refrigerated before opening, um, strange. It also tastes funny. It's almost like whipping cream. Not bad for coffee and cereal, but when I want a cold glass of milk to wash down my cookies (or dark chocolate or ice cream), it does not do the trick.

Summer. In general. I love Canadian summers. I especially miss: driving to the Dairy Freez after dinner (because there is still so much day light left, duh), sailing or racing or anything on the water, corn on the cobb with loads of butter and salt YUM, lazy days napping in Rob's hammock, and going for "a drive" just because you can.

These are just a few specific things, if I thought about it longer I'm sure I could go on and on. I've officially been in Barbados for 8 weeks, crazy right. And I can honestly say I haven't been "homesick" but I'm definitely starting to get excited to go home. It will be bittersweet for sure.
totally irrelevant filler picture ... 
Steph and I have been pretty bad about taking pictures hence my lack of posts/this very text heavy post, but we have some exciting adventures lined up for this weekend so hopefully we will have some to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment